A Virtual Note From Hester Piozzi To Her Midwife, Merry Chase

17 January 1785


Mrs. Piozzi commiserates with the captive birds in the rotunda of the Villa Vesuvia.
Dear Miss Chase,

The appointed date has come and gone and it was with no remaining doubt whatsoever that I informed my husband, Mr. Piozzi, of my great news.  Gabriel was present on Rocca Sorrentina for just a few days and has now departed for work abroad.  He will be in France for some weeks which will be followed by a brief trip to England.  How I wish I could accompany him on his journey, but that seems to still be inadvisable as the symptoms of early pregnancy are still with me. 

Which brings me to the point of this letter -- well one of the points.  I was wondering if you might have any recommendation for swelling in my hands and feet which seems to go beyond the normal addition to her girth any expectant mother can, well, expect.  This swelling sometimes combines with the usual indigestion  to make it quite impossible for me to function as I would like on a daily basis.  I fear I am becoming quite the recluse.  It is my hope that you know of a remedy. 

Secondly, I am wondering of I might meet with you once again in your other capacity.  I could use some guidance with regard to a private matter concerning my daughter who remains in England. 

I do hope all is well with you and yours. 

Sincerely,
Mrs. Hester Piozzi

You may read more of Hester's virtual diary and letters on this website. 

Hester's virtual diary and letters are FICTIONAL.  They are also my sole property. Hester Lynch Thrale Piozzi's Virtual Diary and Letters are copyright (c) Stephanie Mesler 2014.  You may not republish these virtual diary entries and letters in any form.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mrs. Piozzi Requests The Pleasure of Your Company

Live Literature at The Haven: Can a Meany Learn Friendship?